  From: Carolyn Chase <cdchase@qualcomm.com>
  To: Multiple recipients of list <dioxin-l@essential.org>
  Date: Tuesday, July 29, 1997 13:15
  Subject: oil inputs to paper?

  I came across the following statement in a paper vs. plastic debate: -
  "There is a lot of petroleum used in the manufacturing of paper products.
  "

  ++ can anyone enlighten me as to what part of paper manufacturing consumes
  a "lot of petroleum"? All I can think of is hauling the logs and hauling
  the paper; Are petro and petro byproducts inputs to any of the delignen
  processing? Is this the source of the dioxin byproduct?

  Carolyn Chase, Editor, San Diego Earth Times, http://www.sdearthtimes.com
  Please visit :-)

  Tel: (619)272-7423 (SDET)
  FAX: (619)272-2933
  email: cqual@znet.com
  P.O. Box 9827 / San Diego CA 92169

  "Action is the antidote to despair." -- Joan Baez