Fwd: MED-PRIVACY digest 140

  In a message dated 96-08-10 14:52:32 EDT, METRA1001 writes:

  << In a message dated 96-08-09 17:13:36 EDT, Dick Mills writes:

  > The physical records are just ordinary personal property.
  >Even such a little thing as correcting errors can be controversial.  The
  >doctors view the record ad thier shield against malpractice.  It can be
  >important >to them to be able to prove that "X is what I belived on the
  day I prescribed >the treatment, even if was later asserted to be wrong."
  <snip>

  DICK:

  You are DEAD WRONG on this one. I often agree with you, but
  last year, I got copies of MY medical files, and found mis-information,
  incorrect information and more than a few outright LIES in my
  files. Sorry, but this lame excuse doesn't cut the mustard. A LIE
  is a LIE, whether it covers the doctor's rear or not.

  No one has the right to lie in a medical file, especially if it is
  to be widely disseminated, or misrepresent matters, or pass
  along faulty information. The provider AND the storer of such
  information in assuring information is accurate. And a patient
  MUST have the right to correct misinformation and falsifications.
  Particularly in an era of wide area computerized databases, and
  Especially if it could cost the patient a job, or insurance down
  the line, when misinformation is taken at face value as totally
  truthful.

  -AL- >>