Re: MED-PRIVACY digest 140 -Reply

  Mr. Lewis--

  According to the law in most states, the medical record. which may or
  may not be distinguishable from the information contained within it,
  belongs to and is the legal responsibility of the provider who created the
  record, subject to the patient's right to access the information contained
  within it (and often to copy it) and to the patient's right to not have that
  information disclosed unlawfully or without the patient's consent.  The
  record does not belong to the patient.

  We can debate to whom the record should belong (and perhaps we
  should), but it is not the "truth" that the record "belongs" to the patient.