Re: MED-PRIVACY digest 140

  Just read Med-Privacy Digest 140.  I can identify myself as an occasional
  patient, as a librarian with some interest in copyright and general
  information issues, and as a citizen.  The only post in that digest with
  any ring of validity to it is one from which I excerpt the following:

  ========= Begin included post ============

  The point is that a patient's record is as much a part of him or her as
  an arm or leg
  or gall bladder or uterus.  It's owned, bought and paid for.  It belongs
  to the patient - not the doctor or HMO or insurance company.  And the
  decision about what to do about that record - who can look at it or use
  it
  for whatever purpose - should rest solely and squarely with the patient
  in
  an informed consent environment.  That seems to be not the case in
  today's
  health care scene.  The patient is the LAST person who benefits from
  access to his or her own medical records.  We are at 1984 twelve years
  down the pike and advancing rapidly toward a world where no one can feel
  comfortable in his or her own private personhood.  So that's my 2 cents
  worth.

  ============ End included post

  All of you, please listen!  You DON'T OWN that information!  You have no
  independent right to dispose of it in any way whatsoever without the
  patient's specific consent.  Try to step outside of the context of
  liability and profit.  Look at the matter as a citizen in a nation of
  free people.  I am neither a right-winger nor a left-winger (whatever
  that means), but I do see clearly that without privacy, there is no
  freedom.  I'm terrified at how seldom the issue is referred to in this
  list.  I appeal to your consciences.

  Alan Lewis
  Teacher & Librarian
  ahlewis@scsn.net