Dioxin eating fungus

  aside from the mentioned possibility it is being swallowed but not
  metabolized by the fungus, it seems likely to me that white &/or brown rot
  fungi are involved, as these are famous for their ability to enzymatically
  (i assume) degrade many persistent, refractory organics, including
  organochlorines.  into what--i.e., partial (therefore possibly toxic) or
  complete (mineralization), i do not know without going into my files.

  Tony Tweedale (Causality is a concept not subject to empirical
  demonstration.   -David Hume)