  From: Jon Campbell
  To: Multiple recipients of list
  Subject: Re: dioxin testing in milk
  Date: Saturday, August 09, 1997 5:10PM

   Hello, Tal

  This is Jon Campbell, and I'm a dioxin activist from
  Acton, MA.

  Testing for dioxin is slightly difficult and very
  expensive, unfortunately,
  because the molecule is so non-reactive and the
  quantities of it
  are so small. There is both a popular book and two
  reports that
  have listed the amounts of dioxin in various foods.

  The popular book is "Dying From Dioxin" by Lois Gibbs.
  It
  provides an excellent summary of  the important
  findings of
  the two dioxin reports, with excerpts of tables of
  concentrations
  in food, plus a layman's description of where dioxin
  comes
  from. One report is: USEPA, 1994, Estimating Exposure
  Dioxin-Like Compounds, EPA/600/6-88/005C-a,b, & c -
  external draft,
  June. This report is part of the EPA "1994 Dioxin
  Reassement"
  The other report is by Arnold Schecter, et al, "Cogener
  specific
  levels of dioxins and dibenzofurans in U.S. food..." an
  article
  in the journal "Environmental Health
  Perspectives"#102:pgs
  962-966.

  The EPA report is huge (in three volumes), and there
  are
  three companion volumes on health assessment.
  I believe the EPA has not released the report publicly
  because it would cause a panic: the amount in dioxin
  in an ordinary 100-gram hamburger is 300 times the
  "acceptable" amount listed in the Health Assessment.

  I hope this is useful to you. Also, check out my
  Website at
  http://www.cqs.com for more information

  Regards,
  Jon Campbell