Bentonite Contamination

  I just spoke with an engineer who told me that a
  relatively new technique injects bentonite mixed
  with activiated charcoal into industrial boilers
  to absorb potential air pollutants in municipal
  and other waste incinerators.

  The contaminated bentonite and charcoal is then
  collected in the baghouse or other particle
  collector used for air pollution control.

  Is it possible that this bentonite found its way
  into the animal feed, carrying dioxin with it?

  This same engineer said he talked recently
  with an (unnamed) company, and was surprised when he asked
  about the hazardous waste disposal requirements
  for the baghouse contents.

  The company replied that there were no disposal
  requirements --- they used it for pig feed.

  How are baghouse wastes tracked?

  Rebecca Leighton Katers
  Clean Water Action Council of N.E. Wisconsin
  2220 Deckner Avenue
  Green Bay, WI 54302
  Phone:  414-468-4243
  Fax:  414-468-1234