Re: let's build a unified movement, not fight each other

  The temptation to wade in is too great....

  I think all the writers have made good points.
  SOME regulators are good guys, SOME industries
  leaders are decent, SOME environmentalists are idiots,
  or even corrupt.

  My experience has been that even though many
  regulators at the grassroots level are decent,
  hard-working people --- too many of them develop
  a siege mentality towards the public.   They
  spend too much time trying to reassure people and
  deflect criticism --- to minimize their own
  troubles.   They also feel they have to defend regulations
  which aren't strong enough to get the job done, but then
  later, when they're criticized for their inaction, they
  complain that they don't have the authority to do
  what the public wants.    This is terribly
  frustrating.   When we environmentalists push for
  stronger regulations, the agency staff often
  publicly contradict and belittle us.   It's hard
  to feel kindly towards these people.

  In Wisconsin, our entire Dept. of Natural
  Resources DNR has been taken over by a hostile
  Governor (Tommy Thompson).   After major budget
  cuts and a major topsy-turvey reorganization,
  shuffling staff all over the state, the staff are
  seriously demoralized and leaving in droves.
  The DNR staff now work in "Customer Service
  Centers," refer to major polluters as their
  "clients," and claim it's their job to issue
  permits to their clients.

  Despite these outrages, not one DNR staff person
  has been willing to blow the whistle.   It's hard
  not to be frustrated with them.

  Some agency staff seem truly evil, using devious,
  and negative put-downs to subdue citizens who raise
  concerns.   Other staff blame environmentalists for not being
  more effective (as if we have bottomless
  resources to come to their defense.)   Even
  though they are paid to defend our resources,
  they claim they are only mediators between
  industry and environmentalists.   They've
  forgotten their purpose.

  Yes, there are still good people working for the
  agencies --- but where are they when we need
  them?    I'm tired of getting tips on the side,
  anonymous phone calls, letters with no return
  address, and other pointers from agency staff who
  want me to slay the dragons for them.

  I'm an unpaid citizen volunteer and I shouldn't have to
  develop ulcers doing their work for them (and
  often IN SPITE of agency incompetence or
  corruption.)

  I'm also tired of people who criticize citizen
  "environmentalists" for being too adversarial, too
  emotional, too simplistic, or too scientifically
  naive.    These put downs are very handy, but
  inappropriate when applied to people who have
  every right to be outraged, and who shouldn't be
  expected to understand the intricacies of
  chemistry.    And I've found that the
  common-sense, simplistic approach is often
  valid.   When you cut away all the scientific
  crap, the truth is clear enough for a child to
  see and this truth is the most important policy
  consideration.

  Too many "professional" environmentalists feel
  its their job to turn citizen outrage into a
  bland, lifeless, sanitized press release which is
  "pragmatic" and "cooperative" with opposing
  forces (who they refuse to call "polluters.")
  These pseudo-environmentalists are a major threat to citizen
  activist morale and effectiveness.   They
  marginalize legitimate grassroots efforts.

  And while many business people are decent
  individuals, as a block they tend to vote for
  pro-corporate, anti-environmental  menaces like our
  Governor Tommy Thompson.   They also hang
  together and refuse to help citizens chastise
  truly bad actors in the business community.
  Most business people are big supporters of the
  "SYSTEM' which is destroying our global
  environment.    I can't forgive them for that.

  If there are good environmental business people
  out there, they need to do a much better job of
  speaking up and supporting citizens who fight for
  environmental protection.   They've got the
  money, clout and connections.   We need their
  help.   (But I've lost any faith that such help will ever
  come.)

  I ascribe to Peter Montague's arguments that we must
  reform our corporate system and restore our
  democratic processes if we hope to make any real
  progress on these issues.