Unity and Civility

  This "Let's build a unified movement" is an interesting debate,
  and gets to the heart of many of our environmental problems.

  Who's job is it to protect the environment?

  As long as environmental work is viewed
  only as something to do 9 to 5
  for a paycheck, or to support a family, we're
  in trouble.    This is part of a broader lack of
  commitment to community service.   Too many
  people are focussed only on self-gratification
  and their own private family --- to hell with
  everybody else.   This is not a sustainable
  situation.   It is not survival behavior for a
  civilization.

  Mr. McClintock wrote:

  "And if this USEPA scientist/manager is underpaid, underrespected,
  overworked, or MAYBE gets crap from various environmental groups
  because he won't jump everytime they have a complaint, he may take a
  serious look at an offer that guarantees his family a lifestyle he
  believes they deserve.  He does not have to sell out at all, he/she can
  just take the perspective that it was like an Army tour of duty - did
  their bit for their country and environment, now it is time to think
  about their family."

  In my view, environmental work is NOT a tour of
  duty, or something you do in spite of your
  family's needs.  (We ALL think we deserve a
  better life.)  More people (not just reluctant
  or frustrated regulators) need to recognize that many
  environmental issues are interlinked and reaching
  critical mass --- overpopulation, deforestation,
  desertification, climate change, species
  extinction, toxic accumulation, etc.   NO ONE
  will escape the snowballing consequences.  Anyone
  who loves their family should be doing what they
  can at work, during their "free" time, and at
  home to counteract these negative trends.   If
  agency staff leave to work for and help
  perpetuate pollution or other environmental
  damage, they ARE selling out.    (I'll concede
  that some of these people do manage to
  improve some industry behavior, but would they have
  been more effective staying as regulators?)

  If some of us are "emotional" about all this,
  it's because we're in a major crisis and it seems
  as if everyone is living in denial and doing
  business as usual.

  I agree with Mr. McClintock that it's not good
  to repeatedly attack agencies in a generic
  way, but a lot of us have had horrible
  experiences with MANY individuals within the
  agencies --- and often we can't get around these
  individuals to get help.   We often feel that our
  taxdollars have been used to create a monster
  that fights alongside industry against us.

  We are forced to call public attention to this problem
  if we want to solve it.   The GOOD people in the
  agency should understand this.    If an agency
  staff person resents this "attack," then I doubt
  they're on our side.

  Our local group just won a major lawsuit stopping
  a toxic sludge dump in the waters of Green Bay.   We
  proved in court that three different agencies
  (the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources,
  U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and Brown County
  Harbor Commission) can NOT be trusted to protect
  water quality.   This case had already been won
  once before, back in 1988, and they forced us to go through
  it again.   They threw all kinds of experts and
  lawyers at us, and these were NOT nice people.

  Local citizens had to fight this project for 13 years,
  with lots of personal money, and thousands of
  hours of work.   It's hard to feel gracious toward
  these agency people.

  (The irony is that now, AFTER IT'S OVER, several
  agency staff have congratulated us and told us
  they sympathized with our position.   To my
  knowledge, none of them contributed a penny or
  minute of time to helping us.   They simply sat
  in hiding until the dust settled.)

  Perhaps Mr. McClintock is accustomed to being
  treated respectfully by agency staff, since he
  does have technical degrees and considerable
  experience.   He is also a man.

  A woman or any ordinary citizen without technical degrees
  gets an entirely different reception, especially
  from arrogant male engineers or credentialed snobs.
  The put-downs and callousness can be infuriating.
  I've left many meetings in tears of anger
  and frustration (once I'm safely out of sight.)

  Some agency people need training to improve their
  social skills so they can respond constructively
  to citizen frustration and anger.   Much citizen
  anger is not really directed personally at the
  staff so much as at the dysfunctional system.

  Staff need to learn how to cope with being
  lightening rods and finding ways to help people
  focus their efforts more effectively.  Instead
  some staff jump into defensive mode, and this
  just makes matters worse.   They're supposed to
  be the professionals --- they should learn to
  accept normal human reactions to stress.

  The bottom line is that there are abuses on all sides and we
  all need to work on being civil and not
  generalizing.

  On the other hand, Mr. McClintock needs to
  recognize there are serious differenceS between citizen
  and agency abuses.   The agencies have
  the money and power, while citizens are usually
  helpless and out-gunned.

  Give agency staff a chance to show their good side,
  but don't excuse the many bad ones who seem only
  interested in building up their resume at public
  expense so they can attract a high-paying
  industry job with the same industries they
  formerly regulated.

  Rebecca Leighton Katers
  Clean Water Action Council of N.E. Wisconsin
  2220 Deckner Avenue
  Green Bay, WI 54302
  Phone:  414-468-4243
  Fax:  414-468-1234