Re: let's build a unified movement, not fight each other

  Jon Wrote

  >> there are a large number of well-meaning people in
  >> the government who really want their agencies to
  >> do the right thing (example: William Sanjour), it should
  >> be obvious to most people that the EPA's role is
  >> to instutionalize the status quo and guarantee the
  >> viability of the chemical and industrial giants.

  and Sam replied

  >I could not disagree more. ...... Stick to specific examples and
  >blame the specific people who watered down the regs, not the troops as
  >a whole who make honest efforts.

  It can be difficult to take that approach when you are involved in grass
  roots campaigning and time and time again see regulators with an arrogant
  approach to pollution control (defined by Paul Connett as 'ignorance
  mixed with over confidence').  It is difficult not to believe that we are
  up against an effective 'regulatory industrial complex' where 'regulator
  capture' has transformed many officers into agents for the industry they
  are regulating

  These regulators stand on platforms with their industrial partners and
  constantly defend the status quo as being 'safe' and 'sustainable'.
  Environmentalists often have no option other than to discredit the
  regulators who put those arguments.  Of course we can congratulate them
  on the relatively rare (in the UK) times that they take positive action
  to protect the environment - but most of the time they are in a deeply
  compromised position with industry and vested interests being far too
  influential.

  As flavour of the UK situation (and to bring the discussion back closer
  on topic) this is how ENDS (Environmental Data Services - a neutral
  source) reported the UK Environment Committee review of the performance
  of our Environment Agency on the regulation of cement kilns:

  -------------------------
  UK Environment Agency "inefficiency" slammed
  ENDS Daily - 06/03/97
  -------------------------
  A UK parliamentary committee has launched a stinging attack
  on the country's main pollution regulator, the Environment
  Agency.  In a report published today, the House of Commons
  Environment Committee has accused the Agency of
  "inefficiency", "lack of foresight", "serious inadequacies"
  in emissions monitoring and "failure...to command public
  confidence."

  The Committee's report focuses on the environmental
  implications of solvent burning in cement kilns and on the
  performance of the Environment Agency in regulating the
  practice.

  A growing number of cement works in the UK are burning
  "secondary liquid fuel" (SLF) - a mixture of industrial
  wastes and waste solvents - to reduce fuel costs.  The
  practice is also widespread in the USA and European
  countries including France, Germany, Belgium, Sweden,
  Switzerland and Austria.  UK environmental groups have
  attacked the use of SLF as "hazardous waste incineration by
  the back door".

  In its report, the Committee accuses the Agency of
  dismissing objections to cement kilns by members of the
  public in favour of industry's views.  "[Agency] inspectors
  should not automatically believe what they are told by
  industry", the report says.

         _\\|//_                Alan Watson C.Eng
        (' O^O ')               Oakleigh
   ==|=ooO=(_)=Ooo=|==          Wernffrwd
     !             !            Gower
     !   PUBLIC    !            Swansea   SA4 3TY
     !  INTEREST   !            UK
     ! CONSULTANTS !            Tel: 01792 851599
     !             !            Fax: 01792 850056
     !             !   Check out:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/
                       For UK issues and information