newsies 17-23 july '97

            "Chickens Get Stay of Execution [Business Roundup]."  Washington
            Times, 17 July 97, B7.
                 Tyson Foods, Inc. will temporarily suspend slaughter
                 operations because of high levels of dioxin.
                             ACROSS THE USA: from USA TODAY

            "Batesville, Arkansas [Across the USA]."  USA Today, 16 July 97,
            7A.
                 Workers returned to work at the ConAgra poultry plant after
                 Federal officials closed the facility after finding dioxin
                 in poultry. The 1300 workers will be processing foods other
                 than poultry.

            "World Breast Cancer Forum Blames Environmental Ills."  New York
            Times, 19 July 97, 4.
                 The first World Conference on Breast Cancer gathered in
                 Kingston, Ontario, this week to plan the eradication of
                 breast cancer. Organizers of the conference believe
                 1,000,000 women will die this year and incidence of the
                 disease is rising. The group focused on the prevalence of
                 toxins and industrial chemicals in the environment. One of
                 the sponsors was the Women's Environment and Development
                 Organization, led by Bella S. Abzug, a cancer survivor.

            "Deformed Frogs Offer Mystery."  Washington Times, 20 July 97,
            D8.
                 Scientists investigating the large number of deformed frogs
                 that have been turning up have considered a number of
                 possible causes. At a recent conference in Shenandoah
                 National Park in Virginia, scientists and researchers
                 explored various issues. A drug like retinoic acid may be
                 the cause; a pesticide may also be responsible. Thinning
                 ozone and ultraviolet radiation have also been suggested.
                 One researcher, Stan Sessions, said most of the frog
                 deformities in Minnesota have natural causes, like viruses,
                 predators and parasites. Others, however, reject this claim.
                 Most seem to agree that the reason to study deformed frogs
                 is because of the potential for identifying effects on human
                 health.

    4 07/21/97 Scientists examine impact of chemicals on health By Sue Pleming
  WASHINGTON (Reuter)  Estrogen-like substances found in the environment may
  play a role in declining fertility and other health risks, but much more
  conclusive research is needed, scientists said Monday. ``There may be

  <<GP>>
    3  [2] The Guardian  July  23, 1997 HEADLINE: LETTER: DOOM FOR THE
  MILLENNIUM DOME BYLINE: Peter Melchett.  YOU report a number of
  uncharacteristically anonymous ministers as saying that  Greenpeace  has
  "lost the scientific argument" against PVC ('Poisonous' dome claim rejected

  <<GP>>
    2   Hamilton Spectator  July 23, 1997 Harris wants answers, too: Premier
  says inquiry may be only way to resolve Plastimet questions by Richard
  Brennan - A public inquiry may be the only way to answer serious questions
  left in the wake of a toxic plastics fire that burned for four days

  <<GP>>
    3  The Toronto Sun  July 20, 1997 DLINE   TOXIC SHOCK IN STEEL CITY; AVOID
  DEADLY SOOT, KIDS TOLD  Hamilton residents may be asked to scrub their lawns
  next week as the city continues to cope with toxic fallout from a plastics
  recycling plant fire. The July 9-12 fire at the Plastimet plant in north-end

  <<GP>>
    2 [2] The Toronto Star  July 22, 1997 FIREFIGHTERS SICK AFTER HAMILTON
  PLASTICS FIRE: Residents also concerned about effects on health By Ken
  Kilpatrick HAMILTON - Almost 100 firefighters have been sick since battling
  a huge four-day inferno at a plastics and vinyl recycling plant here, union

  <<GP>>
    3  The Toronto Sun  July 22, 1997  FIRM OK'D TO HANDLE OWN TOXIC CLEANUP
  Ontario's environment ministry is trusting Plastimet Inc. to mop up after a
  massive plastics fire that tainted vegetables in surrounding gardens with
  toxins. Plastimet faces no written clean-up order because it seems

  -------

  Miranda Holmes, Toxics Campaigner
  Georgia Strait Alliance
  1726 Commercial Drive