Re: new 'combustion salt laden wood' article

  Tony Tweedale wrote:

  >luthe et al. 'towards controlling emissions from power boilers fueled w/
  >salt-laden wood waste' _chemosphere_ 35:3:557-74 ('97, the current issue)
  >
  >should be of interest to people w/ a coastal or brine-pond pulp mill.
  >
  >unfortunaltly we have no direct access to this journal.  i'd appreciate
  >being notified it if anyone gets a copy of this article, as stone/msla &
  >mt-deq seperately say stone's burning of  pvc wastes in their hog fuel
  >boiler does not produce elevated pcdd/f above what burning coastal hog fuel
  >would.

  This paper was submitted by Corinne Luthe et al. and you may be able to
  get copies directly from the Authors at:

  Pulp and Paper Research Institute of Canada
  570 St Johns Blivd
  Pointe Claire
  Quebec
  Canada H9R  3J9

  The Abstract is:

  ABSTRACT

  An evaluation of the dioxins emissions from a power boiler fuelled with
  salt-laden wood waste has provided insights on potential control
  technologies. Whereas a reduction in stack particulate levels does not
  preclude a corresponding reduction in dioxins emissions, good combustion
  conditions, in combination with an efficient secondary collection device
  for particulate removal, were found to offer effective control (stack
  emissions of 0.064 to 0.086 ng TEQ/m3). Regarding minimization of dioxins
  formation at source, a preliminary assessment of the possible beneficial
  effect of an attenuated chlorine:sulphur ratio was encouraging. A more
  accurate assessment requires additional trials preferably longer in
  duration, to eliminate any possible memory effects.

         _\\|//_                Alan Watson C.Eng
        (' O^O ')               Oakleigh
   ==|=ooO=(_)=Ooo=|==          Wernffrwd
     !             !            Gower
     !   PUBLIC    !            Swansea   SA4 3TY
     !  INTEREST   !            UK
     ! CONSULTANTS !            Tel: 01792 851599
     !             !            Fax: 01792 850056
     !             !   Check out:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/
                       For UK issues and information