Re: why... Indeed...

  All this paranoia about Microsoft ruling the universe is totally unfounded
  in fact. Are you folks hearing voices that tell you this, or listening to
  facts? Maybe the following will give you some obviously much needed frame
  of reference.

  Microsoft "is" a leader in the computer industry, yet it still accounts for
  less than 2 percent of industry revenues, which were approximately $570
  billion in 1996. Tens of thousands of companies compete in the computer
  industry, many of which, such as IBM ($75 billion), Hitachi ($69 billion),
  and Hewlett Packard ($38 billion), have revenues that dwarf those of
  Microsoft ($11 billion). Even in the software segment of the computer
  industry, Microsoft accounts for less than 4 percent of total software
  industry revenues of $250 billion. The largest is IBM, with $13 billion.

  Yes, IBM is the largest software company in terms of revenue. Fact.

  Is the 2% or the 4% the Microsoft monopoly that this list is scared to
  death of? I wasn't a math or statistics or economics major but even 4% is
  very, very far from a monopoly even to the most paranoid.

  If you would start by doing some research about the computer industry and
  about Microsoft, I think that you would find that about 85%-90% of the
  cliches being thrown about as fact in this discussion list would be proved
  totally unfounded. And you guys are so upset about Microsoft being
  misleading. P-l-e-a-s-e...

  If this discussion was about Sun or Netscape or whomever, I would be just
  as adamant about being factual.

  Charles