lexis-nexis database

  Why, suddenly, all the outcry over a relatively mild example (P-trak) of
  what is happening routinely?

  The same NPR interview which featured the quote of the fellow whose
  unapublished phone number got published also mentioned that other,
  similar databases exist, but they're "more difficult" to access:  people
  have to say who they are, for example, to use them, or pay.  Really
  difficult hurdles to leap.

  Optimistic view:  we're finally waking up to the fact that privacy vanished
  some time ago, and perhaps we'll do something about it.

  Pessimistic view:  conditions of some sort were just right for a little
  brushfire of rumor and indignation to catch; but L-N and their ilk will
  handle the PR correctly, put down the flames, and we'll sink back into our
  complacency.

  Both:  we're finally waking up to the fact that privacy vanished some time
  ago, and there ain't a damned thing we can do about it.

  --
  ++++++++++++++++++++  The 'net doesn't look like your {phone,cable}
  +  Dave Williams   +  company right now.  But give us time.