Fwd: networked medical records and confidentiality: time for honesty

  Med-privacy:

  The following illustrates the casual and non-chalant attitude towards medical
  privacy. Lately, I had a very private conversation with my neurosurgeon on
  the phone. Towards the end I realized he was calling on a cellular phone.
  Anyone with a scanner and a sorry attitude could use that call for any
  purpose, including blackmail. In Tennessee's last Senatorial race, the
  incumbent made a cellular call, in desperation to a contributor, which was
  tape recorded and turned over to the nuewspapers, which gave the story front
  page status.

  This attitude is what will get us in trouble.

  In a message dated 96-09-02 15:23:47 EDT, john@umnhcs.labmed.umn.edu (John