Re: Feb 2 AHIMA meeting on S. 1360

  On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Lewis Lorton sent a post, an excerpt of which
  follows:

  ++++++++++++++++++++++ Begin included message
  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I have attended three of the meetings and have been increasingly
  dismayed
  that the motives of the health care providers are constantly
  misconstrued,
  seemingly purposefully, in order to wave some flag.

  I have just finished a long private exchange with Jamie which
  convinced me
  that this is ideology versus reality - not amenable to reason.   Why
  is it
  so difficult to understand that any resources put into other issues
  are
  deducted from that available for providing care.  Some issues, some
  activities are worth it - some are not.

   The challenge is to understand the impact of everything that is
  proposed
  and to make the choices of which to accept - not the current tactic
  of
  pressing for the most stringent measures - to defeat the demon
  industry.
  ++++++++++++++++++++++ End included message
  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  I missed the announcement of the gentleman's elevation to Arbiter of
  Reality.  This is at least the 2nd time he's tried to equate what
  "the demon industry" wants to reality, with the implication that any
  disagreement must be unreal.  Gellman works that one, too.  Perhaps
  there's a manual somewhere.

  In the quote above, substitute "principle" for the loaded
  "ideology."

  The idea of a zero-sum situation, where "resources put into other
  issues are deducted from that available for providing care" is only
  true if savings are not realized anywhere else.  (Industry profits?
  Lobbyist salaries? Congressional campaign contributions?
  Naaahhh...)  Even then, it is only true in the sense LL promotes if
  we only count costs his way.  His reasoning is based on the hidden
  premise that wherever money now goes, it must and will continue to
  go, world without end.

  As concerns the proposition that "the motives of the health care
  providers are constantly misconstrued...," one assumes that (as
  corporate entities) their motives consist of profit and the
  assurance of continued profit.  If not, someone tell the
  stockholders.  Corporations can be benevolent & beneficial to the
  community at large -- or not.  Profit is very damn good -- depending
  upon how much, how it is obtained, and who suffers.  At the very
  least, it pays to be cautious about the motives and utterances of
  anyone, in any situation, who stands to profit financially or
  professionally.

  Even the phrase "health care providers" is tricky.  It brings to
  mind the image of a nurse with a bandage.  But
  the "providers" mentioned above appear to be simply those who stand
  to make the money, not those who directly provide the care.

  Alan Lewis
  Private citizen