Re: NYNEX and voice dialing.

  On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Richard L. Lavallee wrote:

  > I have a simple telephony question for anyone in the know to answer.
  >
  > How can I get my ibmpc-compatible modem to dial immediately
  > without waiting to detect a dial tone?

  We are talking about a analog modem correct??

  If so then change your init string to atx1d.t

  I've never messed with NT but I would think it has a section where you
  can add "advanced settings" to your modem setup ( 95 does atleast) if so
  then just add put x1 in there (or maybe atx1).

  > Why do I need to do this?  Because through NYNEX I subscribe
  > to the "Voice Dialing" service which disables the dial-tone (after
  > a half-second) and listens for a voice command (e.g. if I say
  > "mother" the service begins dialing ny nother's phone number).
  >
  > But this clashes with my modem which seems hard-wired to detect
  > a dial-tone prior to dialing.
  >
  > NYNEX's answer is for me to dial *98 and then hang-up prior
  > to using my modem.  This manual procedure is less than satisfying,
  > to say the least.  I cannot automate this *98 technique, because
  > my modem won't dial *98 until it detects a dial-tone!
  >
  > I am running Windows NT 4.0.
  >
  > Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
  >
  > -Rich Lavallee

  Michael Cummings at home, feet up in       |    Pyramid OSx MIS-12
  Columbia, MD. Internet cummings@netcom.com |      Systems Admin.
    Washington DC. "A radio wasteland"...    |----------------------------
     I Want My W G T B Back!!!               |My other op-system is Linux!