Re: another question

  Daniel Green from Societe pour Vaincre Pollution in Quebec Canada was in
  the media a couple of years ago with dioxin measurements from a municipal
  dump burn off in Montreal.

  Try phone 1-514-844-1446

  delores

  At 02:31 PM 04/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
  >At 11:42 AM 11/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
  >>
  >>Another question:  Does anyone have information on dioxin in landfill
  >>gases - when they are vented
  >
  >given low volatility of relatively this relatively high molecular weight
  >compound
  >at typical ambient temperatures, I wouldn't expect anything in landfill gases
  >in the way of PCDD/PCDF emissions.   Landfill gas is obnoxious because
  >of reduced sulfur compounds and volatile organic compounds that may be
  >present.   There should be relatively good information about the content
  >of landfill gases in the support documents for the New Source Performance
  >Standard that was enacted by EPA to control  VOC emissions from landfills.
  >
  >I'd also be concerned about emissions of biological materials (i.e. molds)
  >from landfills via fugitive emissions.   Asbestos can also be an issue.
  >
  >Some old landfills received a lot of waste solvents prior to the early 1980's
  >and these solvents may be emitted in landfill gases and from leachaete
  >evaporation sites.
  >

  > or flared?
  >
  >I'm unaware of any emission data on PCDD/PCDF emissions from
  >MSW landfill flares.   It might be possible with poor combustion
  >conditions and the presence of chlorinated solvents in landfill
  >gas.   For properly designed and operated landfill gas combustors
  >I'd consider this a low priority source for concern on PCDD/PCDF
  >emissions where there is not a history of significant liquid solvent
  >disposal.
  >

  >>thanks.
  >>

  >>CCHW  Center for Health, Environment and Justice
  >>      P.O. Box 6806  Falls Church, VA 22040
  >>      (703) 237-2249   (703) 237-8389 (fax)

  >Alex J. Sagady & Associates        Email:  asagady@sojourn.com
  >Environmental Consulting and Database Systems
  >PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
  >(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

  Delores Broten,
  Reach for Unbleached! Foundation,
  Box 39, Whaletown BC Canada V0P 1Z0
  Ph/fax: (250) 935-6992