How Much Has Bill Overcharged America?

          Pieter Nagel has raised a super question:  "The majority of consumer
  software is vastly OVERPRICED."  By how much?

          It's a critical question in antitrust.  Monopolies overcharge.
  Important monopolies overcharge a lot.  The size of the overcharge tells the
  court how important this particular monopoly is.  If it's small change--de
  minimis, in legal lingo--don't sweat it.  If it's big bucks, maybe we need
  to do something about it.

          The overcharge is the measure of "damages" in antitrust--the
  magnitude of the injury to the consuming public at large or, in the case of
  a private plaintiff who's had no choice but to buy from a monopolist for
  years, how much has been stolen from him.  The lawyers know the judge is
  going to ask them, "Okay, before you take up too much of my time here, how
  many dollars are involved?"  The overcharge is number he wants.

          So how much has Bill Gates overcharged America so far?

          Charles Mueller, Editor
          ANTITRUST LAW & ECONOMICS REVIEW
          http://webpages.metrolink.net/~cmueller