RE: 11) They Own the Courthouse

  Let's assume that Microsoft owns the Courthouse, from the Supremes to
  the Justice of the Peace in Redmond. Does this guarantee an easy
  victory? Let's assume that Microsoft appeals to the Supreme Court, and
  that the Court rules in favor of Microsoft.

  This will set the stage for further conflict, not end the issues, as we
  really are in a global environment where Court decisions in one
  jurisdiction influence but do not bind other jurisdictions.

  Let's assume that Microsoft is omnipotent (they're not), omniscient
  (another obstacle delusion), and divine.

  They cannot dictate innovation, nor can they stop the coming "wetware
  technology" that will render bloatware obsolete, and penalize sloppy
  coders.

  In my Christmas fantasy, I imagine Microsoft having an epiphony: We are
  the Worlds' greatests marketing organization, so we should concentrate
  on marketing for the myriad businesses that want Microsoft style
  marketing. Forget operating systems, that was the first market, the
  MARKET is the OPERATING SYSTEM.

  They may have the judiciary bribed from the top to the bottom, but like
  illegal cocaine and systemic corruption, there comes a time when prior
  acts and other legal shortcuts end up causing the Justices to split the
  baby/2.

  Once on the docket, public scrutiny can drive the Court's decisions. If
  Justice Scalia likes the thesaurus on his clerk's computer, he may not
  want that thesaurus to become the exclusive property of Microsoft. He
  may be a monopolist with his fellow Justices, but at the end of the day
  his laissez-faire (lazy fare) approach could throw Microsoft to the Free
  Market Zealots, where the idealogy of competition takes on a
  quasi-religious tone, separate from the science of economics.

  Microsoft could win the court wars, and still be blindsided by the anger
  of an aware and aroused public. Most people still fear computers, as a
  threat to their jobs. I assume this bias lives in Congress and the
  courts. This fear can symbolically bell the cat, before it eats the
  mice. The mice fear the cat, after all.

  CAB