Re: Supply and Demand

  Mitch Stone wrote:

  > I accept most of what you say, but allow me to pose the devil's advocate
  > question: Were there not several browsers on the market when Navigator
  > arrived on the scene, and didn't Netscape essentially drive them out?

  There was primarily one actual competitor with Netscape, it being Sprynet.
  Netscape did not so much drive Sprynet out as much as Sprynet drove itself
  out.

  Now, if you're referring to Mosaic, Mosaic was a project that was primarily
  developed by the development team that made the first two versions of
  Netscape's client.  Basically, NCSA wasn't interested in evolving the
  technology, so Netscape was founded.

  If you're referring to lynx or w3, they were doomed from the get-go. There
  were several other browsers that crept up after Netscape's initial success
  such as NetManage's browser, etc.  However, most of these other browsers were
  woefully non-functional in comparison.

  I'm not trying to glorify Netscape by saying that it has not been aggressive
  in it's own attempt to make itself a viable company in an extremely
  competitive industry.  However, I think it's fairly obvious that Netscape's
  business model isn't remotely similar to Microsoft.

  For example, since the outset of our company, we have had a mandate to try to
  not compete with companies that provide content.  Despite the fact that we
  have the most high profile website in the world, we do not actually provide a
  search engine or other such venture.  This is because we made a conscious
  decision several years ago that if we build a monopoly in one market it is
  morally (and, legally) wrong of us to leverage that monopoly into other
  markets.

  True, we have recently begun hosting more content and leveraging off of
  ourexternal website's amazingly large userbase.  However, due to the current
  competition in this area, I hope that no one can fault us for trying to
  preserve our company's future in light of being targeted by the world's most
  aggressive, ruthless, and powerful company.