Re: Brave New World

  There were an amazing number of emails on
  this thread...they'll take me a while to digest.

  For now...
  Sure, what Microsoft gave to the schools had
  value.  Sun gives workstations, Borland gives
  compilers, and Netscape gives free software to
  schools.  All the companies do.

  But Gates is distinquished from the others by the
  fact of his immense wealth.  He is in Carnegie's
  league, and his philanthropy should be, too.  He is
  not even close.

  The reason this matters, in this context, is that there
  are many, conflicting, issues that need to be weighed
  by the lawmakers as they decide what to do.  Keep in
  mind that new legislation is on the table, too.  Gates should
  be thinking about Carnegie, who funded the American
  public library system and, I believe,  the Anti-Imperialism
  League with GB Shaw.  But instead, I think, he is just
  repackaging BOB...

  Tod Landis

  PS.  Got stuff to do... won't be online for a while.  Don't
  give away the country while I'm gone.