Re: Microsoft vs. Justice Department

  Tibor --
      While I sincerely respect your views about government hand-holding
  (up to a point -- I do think we've sometimes become dependent on our
  government to the point of doing violence to our nature, but your
  appraisal of the DOJ as handholding and the consumer as babies was a
  very extreme position to take), I disagree with you on the actions
  against Microsoft.  It seems you (and others "in your camp") keep
  forgetting two things here:  1) PC's, for most consumers, are unlike
  other consumer goods, because of what can only be called a fear factor.
  PC's are not like stereo systems, Tibor.  And software is not like
  stereo components.  The fact is that many, many  people are truly afraid
  of  "screwing up" their computer (translate - making them unusable) --
  and therefore they avoid (or enter with a lot of trepidation) even
  strange to computer professionals, but it's a fact, at least in my
  geographic location. (western Michigan).  As others have said, if IE is
  on the desktop, many, many people will use that automatically, and never
  even consider Netscape's offering simply out of fear of installing new
  software on their PC.   No one's touched on this issue here, but I think
  it's relevant, and this is why I side with the DOJ on this issue; 2)
  You seem to be forgetting that the real issue here is that Windows and
  IE will NOT in fact be separate products for long, and that THAT fact is
  what is really driving all of the anti-Microsoft sentiment, which has
  translated to lawsuits, etc.  With Win98, the browser will be a core
  part of the OS.   (In fact, if you've loaded IE4.0 under Windows95,
  you'll notice that it changes your start bar, etc., etc.-- i.e., it's
  very tight with the OS already).  Users truly will NOT have a choice,
  because everytime they even do something as simple as exploring a
  directory of their files in Windows, they'll be using IE.  Do you really
  think Netscape has a fair chance at presenting its product under these
  conditions??  I have no problem with MS creating its own browser, even
  marketing it to high heaven.  Giving it away for free pushed the limits
  of my ethic sensibilities.  Integrating it with the OS in the manner
  they've done is wrong and anticompetitive.   I believe the integration
  of the OS and the browser is the wave of the future.  But Microsoft's
  outdone itself this time in its underhanded tactics at making that
  future a reality.
      What we're seeing now is in fact an upsurgence against MS by
  companies who have been afraid to speak up for quite some time (afraid
  because of MS retaliation -- an issue Nader addresses in his letter to
  Bill Gates, which you don't).   These companies are being spurred on by
  the success of Java as well as each other's courage (witness -- Compaq
  suing Microsoft, then Gateway, etc.) Nader's involvement is, I believe,
  going to be as effective as any of the DOJ or Sun actions, because it
  will, for the first time, present the idea to the American public that
  Gates is not quite as harmless and cordial as he likes to portray.
  Furthermore, what is really happening here is Gates is being forced to
  admit that he does not in fact have the only valid vision for computing
  for the next 20 years or so.  Maybe, if you haven't already, you should
  read Nader's letter to Bill Gates inviting him to this conference -- he
  describes his initial suspicions that complaints against MS were exactly
  what you're saying, envy of a successful company.  Then he goes on to
  describe why he really decided to go ahead with the conference.  It's
  available at http://www.essential.org.
      Your letter, ironically, I believe to be somewhat naive, exactly
  opposite of how you wanted it to come across (an astute, conservative,
  wise approach to the core economic issues) .  I don't believe your
  assertion that the Justice Dept goes after any firm that is very
  successful is at all what's happening here.  Doesn't the fact that
  Compaq, Gateway, Sun, and numerous private individuals are also suing
  Microsoft (as well as Nader's positioning) cause you to rethink your
  position?