Re: Happy Birthday to Shell? Verifying the date

  Jouni-

  Your questions aren't stupid at all.  You're right - the 18th is the actual
  date - Shell has chosen the 20th - probably because Monday is a better press
  day and a better day for a party.

  Its not the 40th anniversary of Shell in Nigeria though.  Oil was discovered
  in the Delta in 56 and production began in 58.  Shell D'Arcy (a joint
  venture of Shell & BP) started operating in the thirties.

  Let us know how it goes in Finland!

  Peace,

  Steve

  At 05:05 PM 10/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

  >On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 lynx@gn.apc.org wrote:
  >

  >> Shell's 100th birthday party will be held on Monday 20th October at the
  >> Guildhall, Gresham Street, The City, London. 7 for 7.30pm.
  >>

  >Somehow I remember having heard something about the actual anniversary
  >date being Saturday the 18th... Am I correct or wrong? Could somebody tell
  >me the right date ASAP. This is urgent, because I am trying to write a
  >press release for the Finnish media tomorrow morning.
  >
  >Another question: is this also the 40th anniversary of Shell in Nigeria?
  >I've also heard something like this.
  >
  >Sorry about my stupid questions, but you know, Finland is so far from
  >everything that it's hard to get information... :)
  >
  >I am looking forward to your answer(s).
  >
  >Yours,
  >Jouni Nissinen
  >Finnish Service Centre for Development Cooperation

  Steve Kretzmann			510-705-8982 - office
  Campaigns Coordinator		510-705-8983 - fax

  Project Underground
  Exposing corporate environmental & human rights abuses
  Supporting communities threatened by the mining and oil industries

  1847 Berkeley Way			http://www.moles.org
  Berkeley, CA, 94703, USA