Re: bloody oil...is chevron clean?

  ernie yacub wrote:

  > >       STOP DRIVING FRIGGIN' CARS! GET IT!

  > >By creating a unified network of activists and concerned individuals,
  > >some who are already working on one or more of the above mentioned   > >oil corporations, we can concentrate on the underlying consumption   > >levels that drive corporations to exploit oil extraction. There are  > >too many NGO's and activist affinity groups that are focusing on the     > >"brush fires", i.e., Shell's actions in Nigeria and Peru, Texaco in  > >the Amazon and Burma, Oxy in the Amazon, the various spills and       > >operations of Chevron.

  > the main reason for such work is to support the people's struggles in >those lands, especially those who are at deadly risk. and one way, as >you say above, is to stop driving cars. however it is a huge and >complex issue that requires many minds and hearts working in support of >each other in many different ways. for instance, the work that the >vancouver osn has done to lobby local governments to use other >suppliers...hence the question about chevron.

  Ernie,

  Thanks for your thoughtful comments....it's taken me awhile to get
  through a haze of e-mail and work to respond. I feel I must clarify my
  position on the work of many NGO's and other activists' work on fighting
  the oil industry.

  When I suggested that too many activists were targeting individual oil
  companies instead of looking at the larger picture of oil consumption I
  do realize the need for supporting indigenous peoples whose land and
  cultures are threatened by specific corporations. I fully support and
  work on targeting individual oil companies as part of this support.
  Although this is the case, I rarely see people presenting alternatives
  to oil consumption when targeting a specific transnational within the
  oil industry.

  Switching from Shell to another oil company isn't a comprehensive long
  term solution, it's a temporary solution. It's switching from one
  problem to another problem- albeit that one might be the lesser of the
  evils. While I cannot give an educated comment on Chevron's credibility
  I highly doubt that they smell like roses when it comes to environmental
  sustainability and human rights.

  A Shell is a Texaco is a Oxy is a BP is an Exxon is a Unocal is a Total.
  In the end the ultimate oppressor is the consumer.

  > >Consumption is the Pandora's box that is driving the destruction.    > >Let's work on closing the box. I'm not saying stop working on the    > >individual oil companies, but focus some of that energy into           > >alternative transportation, energy, and conservation. We can't fix   > >the symptoms if we don't identify and cure the disease.

  > agreed...there is incredible strength in diversity and unity.

  > >Peaceful,

  > >Shannon Mayorga
  > >WA Rainforest Action (formerly Seattle Rainforest Action Group)

  > regards
  >
  > ernie yacub

  Mitsubishi Corporation is one of the largest corporate destroyers of the
  world's forests. It fully or partially owns logging  operations around
  the world. It also buys millions of cubic feet of timber from other
  logging companies, making it one of the largest importers of timber in
  the world. Mitsubishi is devastating thousands of square miles of
  forests and broadly contributing to cultural disintegration.

  Mitsubishi Corporation is the trading company of the Mitsubishi Group,
  which consists of 190 interlinked companies. These include Mitsubishi
  Motors, Union Bank of California, Kirin Beer, Nippon Kogaku (maker of
  Nikon cameras), Mitsubishi Heavy industries, Bishi Metals, and many
  more......

  WA Rainforest Action
  tribal@earthlink.net
  http://home.earthlink.net/~tribal/