(Fwd) ANNOUNCEMENT: NIGERIA SUPPORT GROUP (fwd)

  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
  Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 02:27:44 +0000
  From: Patrick Bond <pbond@wn.apc.org>
  To: debate@sunsite.wits.ac.za
  Subject: (Fwd) ANNOUNCEMENT: NIGERIA SUPPORT GROUP

  Forwarded message:
  From:             "Raa" <fxi@wn.apc.org>
  To: pbond@wn.apc.org
  Date:        Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:11:05 +0000
  Subject:          ANNOUNCEMENT: NIGERIA SUPPORT GROUP

  TO ALL SANGONET USERS

  MONDAY FAX CAMPAIGN ON NIGERIA
  [Apologies to people who have already received this previously - this
  is the latest version of the message]

  On October 24th to the 27th, the Commonwealth heads of government
  (CHOGM) will be meeting in Edinburgh, Scotland. Among the matters
  that they will deliberate over will be whether Nigeria should remain
  in the Commonwealth or not.

  The South Africa Nigera Democracy Support Group (SANDSG)  is calling
  on individuals and organisations to:

  1. To send faxes to President Mandela and our Foreign Affairs
  representatives THIS WEEK and EVERY MONDAY until the week of the
  CHOGM summit in Scotland calling on our representatives to speak out
  in defence of the people of Nigeria and ensure that Nigeria is
  expelled from the Commonwealth;

  2. Send faxes to President Mandela and our Foreign Affairs
  reprepresentative before Wednesday September 10, when the
  Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG) will be meeting to
  finalise its recommendation on Nigeria that it will take to CHOGM.

  Faxes can be sent to:

  President Nelson R Mandela
  Fax: (012) 323-8246
          (021) 461-4987

  The Minister of Foreign Affairs
  Mr Alfred B Nzo
  Fax: (012) 351 0253
          (021) 456 548

  The Deputy Director General for Multilateral Affairs
  Mr Abdul Minty
  Fax: (012) 351 1502

  BACKGROUND

  The government of General Sani Abacha was suspended from the
  commonwealth in November 1995 when, despite calls for clemency and
  mounting evidence of a travesty of justice, nine opponents of the
  military were executed. The nine included the leader of the Movement
  for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), Ken Saro-Wiwa. All
  those executed were in the forefront of the struggle to oppose the
  environmental degradation that was being wrought by multinational
  oil companies in Nigeria, and the military dictatorship which had
  effectively reduced Nigeria to a jail and its citizens prisoners to
  the dictatorship.

  In suspending Nigeria, CHOGM agreed further: "That if no
  demonstrable progress was made towards the fulfilment of these
  conditions (democratisation and respect for human rights/release of
  political prisoners) within a time frame (of two years), Nigeria
  would be expelled from the association."

  In March 1996, the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG),
  which was tasked with advising the commonwealth on appropriate
  action it should take against Nigeria, noted that the general human
  rights situation in the country had continued to deteriorate. The
  Group added that no concrete efforts were being made by the Nigerian
  government either to engage pro-democracy groups in genuine dialogue
  or release political prisoners including Chief Moshood Abiola, as
  recommended by the heads of government of the Commonwealth.

  Over the past two years, the human rights situation in Nigeria (and
  particularly in Ogoni, which is still under military occupation) has
  been documented as continuing to deteriorate, and the talk about
  national reconciliation remains a sham. This year marked the third
  year of Abiola's incarceration, while Generals Obasanjo, Shehu
  Yar'adu, Dr Beko Ransome Kuti and forty others convicted by a
  military tribunal and jailed for an alleged coup plot are yet to
  regain their freedom. Abacha has not only ignored specific calls
  both from CHOGM and other groups for the release of Abiola and
  others, he has continued to arrest and detain other prominent
  activists and politicians. Earlier this year, in what was clearly a
  political move aimed at discrediting the opposition and justifying
  the continued incarceration of some, Abacha charged 15 prominent
  opposition figures, including exiled writer Wole Soyinka, with
  treason. The once robust independent press of Nigeria has been
  driven virtually underground as journalists run the gauntlet of
  arbitrary arrest or official harassment.

  The South African Nigerian Democracy Support Group does not believe
  that the expulsion of Nigeria from the Commonwealth will mean the
  liberty of Nigerian citizens from military dictatorship.  We believe
  the solution lies with the people of Nigeria themselves and the
  extent to which they are able to collectively influence and control
  the governance of their country and seek popular solutions to the
  political, economic, socio-cultural and other historical problems
  facing their nation. The expulsion of Nigeria from the Commonwealth
  will give great effect to the movement and struggle towards this
  end. Apart from sending a clear message of disapproval of the human
  rights situation in Nigeria, it will send a clear message to Abacha
  that he is not representative of the Nigerian people, but only
  representative of himself and his military elite. It will further be
  a clear signal to the people of Nigeria that the international
  community is indeed aware of and concerned about their plight and
  will not tolerate the situation where one-fifth of all African
  people are prisoners in their own country.

  Our colleagues and comrades in Nigeria and those in exile have urged
  us to call on our government to vote in support of Nigeria being
  expelled from the commonwealth. South Africa to date has been
  playing a juggling game on the question of Nigeria. In 1995,
  President Mandela came out strongly against Abacha and urged
  Nigeria's suspension from the commonwealth. Of late, however,
  President Mandela has been referring to Abacha as "my brother". Our
  ambassador to the United Nations, Jacob Selebi, played a very
  instrumental role in getting a UN Special Rapporteur on Nigeria
  appointed in April this year, but our government continues to grant
  legitimacy to the Abacha regime. Despite consistent calls from the
  Support Group for the denial of visas to all Nigerian military
  officials, President Mandela has received at least two delegations
  from Abacha in the past two months. In a meeting with our High
  Commissioner to Nigeria, George Nene, in June this year the Support
  Group was disturbed to learn of his position on the Abacha
  "transition programme" as a fait accompli.

  South Africa more than ever needs to come clean and make a clear
  stand on Abacha. We cannot allow a situation where Abacha is able to
  seek legitimacy and even tacit approval from our government. More
  over, we can no longer tolerate a situation where human rights
  abuses on the scale committed by Abacha goes without censure from
  within Africa and where despots such as Abacha portray themselves as
  "great sons of Afrika" when in fact they are the killers and jailers
  of African people. Abacha must go, and every little action that can
  lead to this must be undertaken. Nothing has changed in Nigeria -
  except for the worse!

  We call on you to make to the following recommendations:

  1. Consistent with the decision of CHOGM, if between now (November
  1995) and the Edinburgh CHOGM:

  * political prisoners including Chief Abiola, General Obasanjo and
  others imprisoned for an alleged coup attempt, and the Ogoni 21 are
  not released;
  * the military occupation and brutality in Ogoni do not cease;

  Nigeria should be expelled from the commonwealth AND IN ADDITION the
  various measures proposed by CMAG in April this year be imposed.

  2. In the event of compliance with the bench marks in 1 above, and
  pending 3 below - the current suspension should be extended, backed
  by sanctions including, but not limited to the following:

  *visa restrictions on members of the military regime and their
  families;
  *withdrawal of military attaches;
  *cessation of military training;
  *embargo on export of arms;
  *ban on all sporting contracts;
  *downgrading of all cultural links;
  *downgrading of diplomatic missions;

  3. If between the Edinburgh CHOGM and the middle of next year:

  - all decrees curtailing due process and fundamental rights in the
  country are not repealed,

  - genuine efforts at national reconciliation through the setting up
  of a national government headed by Chief Abiola, which will be
  charged with the primary responsibility, amongst others, of
  convening a sovereign national conference to patch the wounds of the
  past and decide on the way forward, are not put in place;

  a further incremental regime of sanctions including, but not limited
  to:

  * a freeze on financial assets and bank accounts in all Commonwealth
  countries of members of the regime, their families and collaborators,
  * ban on the export of support equipment for the oil industry;
  *action against credits, action to prevent new investment including
  banking loans;

  should be imposed.

  4. If after a year from the October Summit in Edinburgh, a genuine
  democratic civilian administration on the basis of a truly
  democratic government is not in place on the platform of a
  constitution that should be the outcome of the national conference
  so conveyed, an oil embargo should be imposed.

  If you wish to receive a copy of the letter which the Support Group
  has sent to the various officials please reply to: fxi@wn.apc.org .
  We urge you to either copy this letter onto your letterhead or alter
  it according to the demands you wish to make. If y wish to be on an
  e-mail mailing list for further information or actions on Nigeria you
  can also reply to: fxi@wn.apc.org . For more information on the
  Nigerian campaign visit the Earthlife Africa Website at:
  http://www.earthlife.org.za . To view some of  the statements and
  letters issued by the Support Group in 1996 and 1997, visit the Press
  Releases section on the Freedom of Expression Institute's website at:
  http://wn.apc.org/fxi/ .

  Thanks
  Raashied Galant
  Patrick Bond
  home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, South Africa
  office: University of the Witwatersrand
  Graduate School of Public and Development Management
  phone:  2711-488-5917
  fax:  2711-484-2729, and 27-11-648-6919
  home phone:  2711-614-8088
  email:  pbond@wn.apc.org or bondp@zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za