WTO/Burma: What Do You Do When A City Enacts Its Own Foreign Policy?

  >>Investor's Business Daily
  >>Charles Oliver
  >>
  >>What Do You Do When A City Enacts Its Own Foreign Policy?
  >>
  >>State and local governments pass economic sanctions -'boycotts on steroids'
  >>
  >>Frances David faces an unusual dilemma. She's trying to figure out where
  >>Berkeley, Calif., is going to buy fuel for the city's vehicles.
  >>
  >>The City Council has barred managers from buying fuel from firms with ties
  >>to Nigeria or Burma in protest of human rights abuses there. The bans rule
  >>out most of the major oil firms.
  >>
  >>"We're looking at independent refiners and other alternative sources," said
  >>David, the city's acting finance director. Berkeley isn't alone.
  >>
  >>If you do business in Burma, forget about doing business with the state of
  >>Massachusetts. Or with Madison, Wis. Or New York City. Or Alameda County,
  >>Calif. All have recently passed so-called selective purchasing laws.
  >>
  >>The trend of state and local governments passing such laws is growing.
  >>Twelve cities, one county and one state have barred governments from doing
  >>business with firms with ties to Burma. Other cities and states are
  >>considering such laws.
  >>
  >>But some fear that selective buying rules will wreak havoc on government
  >>budgets and drive taxes up while doing little to improve the social woes of
  >>targeted countries.
  >>
  >>The laws may also clash with international trading rules. The European Union
  >>recently filed a complaint with the World Trade Organization challenging the
  >>Massachusetts law.
  >>
  >>Moreover, there's serious doubt that economic sanctions help make positive
  >>social change. A study of more than 100 sanctions dating to World War I by
  >>the Institute for International Economics found that they don't work.
  >>
  >>"The bottom line is that sanctions, especially unilateral ones, rarely have
  >>much of an impact on the behavior of the country they're aimed at," said
  >>Kimberly Elliott, a research fellow at a think tank in Washington.
  >>
  >>"We believe that they just add to the overall problem and create confusion,"
  >>said Frank Kittredge, president of the National Foreign Trade Council, a
  >>business trade group.
  >>
  >>These laws also put the weight of government purchasing behind a boycott.
  >>They put millions of dollars in contracts at risk, and they affect firms
  >>that don't have a direct consumer link, such as construction firms.
  >>
  >>Supporters say taxpayers have a right to decide how their money's spent.
  >>They claim such activism represents democracy at its best. "Selective
  >>purchasing laws are just boycotts on steroids," said Simon Billenness of
  >>Franklin Research and Development, a self- described socially responsible
  >>investment firm.
  >>
  >>Burma, a Southeast Asian nation bordering Thailand and China, has been
  >>singled out because of its record of human rights abuses. But Burma isn't
  >>the only country in activists' crosshairs.

> [...]
  Steve Kretzmann

  510-705-8982 - office
  510-705-8983 - fax

  project underground
  Exposing corporate environmental & human rights abuses
  Supporting communities threatened by the mining and oil industries

  1847 Berkeley Way
  Berkeley, CA, 94703