Letter from an Ogoni Refugee

  The following letter was written by an Ogoni refugee residing in
  Vancouver. I have transcribed the letter "as is", without making any
  corrections for grammar. If you wish to respond, please write to Vikki
  Reynolds from the Vancouver Association for the Survivors of Torture
  (VAST) who is in touch with the letter writer. You can also send e-mail to
  ogoni@vcn.bc.ca and I'll make sure the message gets passed on.

  The Ogoni Solidarity Network of Vancouver has been protesting weekly at
  Shell stations in the city (where there are 17) since November 8, 1996.
  It's letters like the following which make the network's work so
  worthwhile.

  -- Jaggi Singh, on behalf of the Ogoni Solidarity Network of Vancouver

  Vancouver Association for the Survivors of Torture (VAST)
  3664 East Hastings, Unit #3
  Vancouver, CANADA V5K 2A9

  May 15, 1997

  Dear Ogoni Solidarity Network Environmentalists,

  On behalf of my community I praise them for their efforts on the Shell
  Boycott protest about the environmental devastation in Ogoniland.

  I ran into the protest on the street and I was most delighted to see
  people who were fighting on our behalf. And I wish someday I would be
  obliged to be part of them.

  You should keep up putting effort.

  Thank you for your concern.

  Right now I'm in my healing process but soon as I'm healed, & I'm through
  with my counselling I'll be obliged to join this solidarity movement.

  Yours sincerely,

  A refugee claimant from Ogoni

  Keep up the good work.