Rel. of Information - Secondary release (fwd)

  Here are some posts concerning secondary release that are being posted on
  him-l (University of Mississippi, Ann Peden, list owner)

  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
  Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:52:58 -0500
  From: eabonifa <104044.2067@CompuServe.COM>
  To: jbrady@freenet.columbus.oh.us
  Subject: Rel. of Information - Secondary release

  Hi,

  I need your thoughts on the following scenario involving re-release of
  information:

  Medical records are requested and received from other facilities, ie.
  acute hospital, physician office etc. , per an authorized request and
  signed patient consent.  Periodically, we receive requests for medical
  records for episodes of care at our clinic or our hospital AND for any
  records received from other facilities.

  My question is this :  Can we re-release medical records received from
  other hospitals?  Example, a patient called the clinic to request that a
  copy of his records be sent to his physician in another state.  He did not
  want his records from his office visits here, but rather the records we
  received from his doctor in Baltimore.

  How are people handling re-release of information?

  Thanks in advance!!!

  Elizabeth
  MIchigan