RE: MED-PRIVACY digest 137

  I don't know much about the Tower situation, but, speaking in generalities .
  . . If an employee is drunk on the job to the point where performance is
  adversely affected, then this would normally go into a personnel file,
  rather than a medical file.  Employers exploring job candidates' credentials
  routinely call former employers as references--although I have no knowledge
  of the law in this case, personnel records seem like fair game if the
  candidate gives permission to speak to the former employer.  For jobs like
  janitor or toll taker, an employer can afford to be a little more
  lenient--Secetary of Defense deserves a lot more scrutiny.

  Mark Sonneborn