Fwd: U.S. Supreme Court Decision TODAY!!!

  In a message dated 96-06-13 19:23:28 EDT, METRA1001 writes:

  << ALERT!

  << This p.m. I heard that today The Supreme Court  ( Justice John ...Souter?)
  held that mental health records could not be used AGAINST a patient in a
  CRIMINAL CASE; however, it upheld the right to obtain the records (where the
  privilege does NOT exist) where a patient puts his physical or mental health
  at issue. This case has been followed for months by privacy advocates as
  pivotal in determining privacy and patient/physician privilege.

  In other words, things will stay just like they are now, except psychotherapy
  records can no longer be dredged up as a way to attack someone who has (or is
  suspected to have) committed a crime, as a way to go on a fishing expedition
  for additional dirty laundry. The records CAN be dredged up in civil cases
  (as when an insured sues an insurer who refuses to honor a legitimate injury
  claim.)

  This is fine for criminals, and great news for them, BUT for honest people,
  i.e. regular citizens (non criminals) who thought they discussed their
  problems in total confidence, five, ten, or twenty years ago, THOSE records
  CAN be dredged up and used AGAINST the patient, as a way to help insurers
  dodge claims, and allege 'psychosomatic' disorders as the cause of physical
  problems, if they have become disabled, and the auto or disability insurer
  refused to cover the injury, and the insured is forced to take the matter to
  court.

  According to this ruling, insurer lawyers can continue to read (and ridicule)
  patients' individual psychotherapy session notes in court, in public, as a
  defense against the claim, and as a way to embarass and humiliate
  (intimidate) patients, who thought they spoke in total confidentiality, by
  the threat of public disclosure of very private matters. In this state we are
  now broadcasting (TV) civil crimes. This is a severe blow to privacy

  This is a win/lose situation. The criminals won, the regular citizens lost.
  Managed care will be happy to know that they can still use mental health
  records against unsuspecting patients. This is a devastating blow to
  psychotherapy, and another winner for the insurers, who are experts at
  exploiting mental health records (as in reading them aloud and ridiculing
  them in public, in a courtroom, as a defense (intimidation) against a claim).
  AS I have said before, anything you say in to a therapist, if need be, CAN
  and WILL be used against you, years after the fact, if you are involved in
  any car wreck injury, disability, or workers comp claim.  So as far as that
  is concerned things have not changed a bit. The court has upheld its previous
  decision, that the APA brought before it again this year on the 'fast track'.

  As Bollas and Sundelson say in their compelling book "The New Informants"
  (referring to psychotherapists), therapists will continue to be called to
  court to testify AGAINST their own patients (who erroneously THOUGHT the
  therapist was their ADVOCATE), breaching a most sacred trust. And, as their
  book says, the court, today has affirmed again the fact that the "State's
  NEED-TO-KNOW ALWAYS outweighs the patient's or the therapist's need for
  privacy." Regretfully, no one ever informs the patient of this.

  Didn't know if you had heard, so I thought I'd give you a 'heads up' on it.
  This is a monumental blow, and unfortunately, few will know the ramifications
  until they are involved in a civil case, and their entire medical histories
  are demanded.

  Alex

  ---------------------
  Subj:    Fwd: U.S. Supreme Court Decision TODAY!!!
  << This p.m. I heard that today The Supreme Court  ( Justice John ...Souter?)
  held that mental health records could not be used AGAINST a patient in a
  CRIMINAL CASE; however, it upheld the right to obtain the records (where the
  privilege does NOT exist) where a patient puts his physical or mental health
  at issue. This case has been followed for months by privacy advocates as
  pivotal in determining privacy and patient/physician privilege.

  In other words, things will stay just like they are now, except psychotherapy
  records cannot be dredged up as a way to attack someone who has (or is
  suspected to have) committed a crime, as a way to go on a fishing expedition
  for additional dirty laundry. They CAN be dredged up in civil cases (as when
  an insured sues an insurer who refuses to honor a legitimate claim.)

[...]

  them in public, in a courtroom). AS I have said before, anything you say in
[...]

  records against unsuspecting patients. Also, anyone interested in managed
  care needs to read the JULY issue of Smart Money Magazine pg 100 (loopholes
  in the Safety Net), about the loopholes managed care organizations have in
  denying healthcare treatment, due to obscure, and often undisclosed, clauses
  in the contracts. Highly recommended.

  Didn't know if you had heard, so I thought I'd give you a 'heads up' on it.

  Alex >>

  ---------------------
  Subj:    Fwd: U.S. Supreme Court Decision TODAY!!!

  << This p.m. I heard that The Supreme Court  ( Justice John ...Souter?) held
[...]

  Subj:    U.S. Supreme Court Decision TODAY!!!
  This p.m. I heard that The Supreme Court (John ...Souter?) held that mental
  health records could not be used AGAINST a patient in a CRIMINAL CASE;
  however, it upheld the right to obtain the records (where the privilege does
  NOT exist) where a patient puts his physical or mental health at issue.

  In other words, things will stay just like they are now, except psychotherapy
  records cannot be dredged up as a way to attack someone who has (or is
  suspected to have) committed a crime, as a way to go on a fishing expedition
  for additional dirty laundry.

  This is fine for criminals, but for people who thought they discussed their