ISDN Rate Increase In Alabama (fwd)

  Just received a FAX from Ms. Roberts.  Bell South submitted a
  proposed tarriff change for Megalink ISDN service.  The service is
  to be changed from flat rate to "volumn usage" (metered service).
  They propose the change become effective on Aug 24, 1996.  What is
  especially naueous about the proposal is that the cover letter
  to the secretary of the PSC clearly states "No revenue analyis
  has been made.".  If no analysis has been made, why is the change
  necessary and desirable?  Everyone of the people I've talked to so
  far admits this is a valid point.  I also raised another issue,
  Bell South has poured millions of dollars into upgrades for the
  Olympics in an attempt to get free publicity for their efforts.
  I submit this increase is a blatant, under-the-table attempt to
  have the citizens of Alabama cover those expenses when little or
  benefit is realized by those citizens.

  There is a scheduled meeting of the of the Alabama Public Service
  Commission on Aug 12, 1996.  This proposed change is one of the
  things to be considered at the meeting.

  As I type I'm waiting for a return call from the office of the
  secretary of the PSC.  No one seems to know exactly how one goes
  about opposing a proposed tarriff change.  They're researching
  the problem.  Evidently it's never been done in the corporate
  memory of those who work there.

  When they tell me how it's to be done, I'll post details.

  Due to the short time frame between the submission and the
  proposed effective date, it's clear that Bell South wants to
  slide this one through just as they have increases in the past.
  Call me an optimist, but I think we can make a difference.  If no
  one can remember the last time anyone challenged a proposal, think
  what an impact it will make if 10 or 20 or 50 people contact the
  PSC to voice their displeasure with the increase.

  If you live in another state I urge you to contact your PSC to see if Bell
  South is attempting the same thing there.

  Floyd Drennon <fdrennon@pobox.com>
  OS/2 & Lan Server Certified Instructor
  Comp-U-Comm - Computer & Communication Consultants