Re: ISP phone ratio's and Interoffice trunkage for voice

   Having installed many 28.8 & 33.6 modems of late I have found that optium
  rates can only be acheived by having fiber provided from the co to the site.
  Trunk lines on a fiber (lightgate) Delivered as T1 (megalink) is usually more
  economical than delivery via copper. Installation is less and the rate
  structure is different.
  I wonder about the effect of traffic and time of access. Is Internet traffic
  for the ISP via dialup heavier at night or day. Most corporations now have
  internet access via their  Lan. No telco traffic impact. If the traffic is
  outside normal business hours then the telco profits by utilizing bandwith
  that would normally be idle. I also contend that a person with a modem will
  stay connected much longer than a person with an ISDN connection due to the
  speed of file transfers. So when comparing traffic for that second line in
  the home to the resi ISDN the ISDN would impact traffic less?
  I believe that flat-rate ISDN should be reasonable like the state of
  Tennessee and others in the $40 and down range. However there should be some
  way of the LEC setting a limit to prevent 7X24 users. These people need to
  get a service intended for this kind of service. They are the ones that cause
  the LEC's to ask for high rates.
  I think I saw some one who was charging a flat rate up to 200 hours or so to
  try and alevate this kind of impact. And by the way a calulation of 6 to 9
  ccs per user is more of the standard traffic allocation for residential
  nowdays. Trunk groups to other exchanges are dynamically allocated as
  mentioned earlier based on actual usage studies. The local co switches are
  also often expanded to meet traffic demands on an as required basis. When was
  the last time you lifted the receiver and failed to get dialtone for several
  seconds. Usually only a snow storm in our area. I vote for the 8 to 1 ratio.
  That is about what I see on the remote lan/ internet service I maintain.

  John W. Blevins

  Bandwidth is like memory more is always better!