re: satisfied customer

  >From Jim Armstrong's most lucid explanation:
  >because the telco switch equipment can't discriminate modem carrier from
  >data [and thus is tying up the connection with data that isn't data]

  Ah!  Then my next question is this.  Wouldn't it make sense for telcos
  to build systems that detect modem carriers and that do discriminate --
  and only haul the actual data?  Certainly this is not difficult to
  do technologically.

              W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
        Center for Information, Technology & Society
           466 Pleasant St., Melrose, MA  02176
         Voice: 617-662-4044  BMSLIB@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
   Fax: 617-662-6882 WWW: http://www.eff.org/pub/Groups/CITS