Re: Recycling vs Incineration - New Scientist 22/11/97

  Sam,

        1. The amount of ash produced by incineration is a matter of public
  record. It is about 1/3 of the original weight and volume. Check out the ash
  disposal records of any MSW incinerator (it may be as high as 40%, and as
  low as 30%).

  2. Check out the history of many or most of the incinerator contracts
  written in the United States. Especially look at those written for/by
  Wheelabrator.

  The NESWC contract, for instance, specifies that Wheelabrator owns the
  incinerator, but the towns have paid for the (municipal) bonds for it.
  Guaranteed Annual Tonnage contracts guarantee that the towns will not
  increase their recycling rate (the towns pay a fixed cost no matter how much
  trash is delivered). Modifications for changes in law are all borne by the
  towns. All liability for environmental mishaps and for the ash is borne by
  the towns. Audit records for the building of the incinerator (which
  allegedly cost $200 million) have never been provided. Inspections of the
  plant by the towns are all but prohibited.

  Wheelabrator and the other vendors knew about the ash issue (weight and
  volume) and the toxicity of the ash well before most of them were built.
  There is some evidence that they knew about dioxin air emissions as well.

       I am not rewriting history. I am merely reinterpreting what really
  happened to us, which is that many municipal governments were taken to the
  cleaners and now have a toxic nightmare on their hands.

  Regards
  Jon