Re: Cattlemen Association has beef with my dioxin posting :)

  Hi, Mike,

        Here's a short response to Mr. Weber's rather
  unscientific statements:

  1. If, in fact, the amount of dioxin in U.S. beef is
  25% of what was reported by EPA, then a single
  hamburger only contains 60 times as much dioxin
  as is specified as an "acceptable" daily dose by
  EPA, that is, only 25 picograms rather than
  100 picograms. The EPA "acceptable dose -
  0.4 picograms per day - is also questionably
  HIGH, not low.

  This is the reason: dioxin acts at the cellular level.
  Each dioxin molecule traversing your body or carried
  in your fat cells has the opportunity to bind to a
  hormone receptor of a cell, essentially making that
  cell become a rogue. There are more than a billion
  dioxin molecules in a picogram of dioxin.

  I also doubt very much whether the EPA (and
  the studies from which the EPA drew the data) would
  have specified U.S. beef if it came from elsewhere.

  2. Consuming animal products (either meat or
  milk) does not utilize the animal to filter
  contaminants. It is the other way around.
  Animals *concentrate* contaminants
  in their fat cells and their livers.
  Cows and steers eat grain
  and grass that is contaminated with PARTICULATES
  from incinerators that have fallen upon the
  plants, as well as consuming a certain amount
  of contaminated soil.

  3. The amount
  of dioxin WITHIN plant products (beans, etc)
  is so small it is unmeasurable by any detection
  mechanism. In general, products
  made from soybeans and grains do not
  contain measurable amounts of dioxin.

  3. I am not aware that anyone, anytime in
  historical record has been made ill or died
  from fungal contamination "so prevalent on
  plants". There is no need for meat in our
  diets, and vegans, as a group, live quite
  a bit longer than meat-eaters, not eating
  any meat or meat products for decades.

  Cheers
  Jon