what are calcium channel blockers?

  --
  i wanted to take a stab at this despite being eminetly UNqualified, becasue
  i just happened  yesterday to be reading the intro articles from an '89

  i never realized calcium biology was so ubiquitous!  for one, it serves as
  a hormone w/ regular protein receptors to transduce a multitude of messages
  and to maintain Ca homeostasis  (in fact, these are the 2 broad functions
  of calcium, but it's major applications in the body seem to number in the
  dozens).  so the breast cancer connection may have to do w/ the multitude
  of steps in Ca/receptor activties.

  to get to your Q., a major role of Ca is in cell membrane passage (in &
  out).  heavy metal competitors to Ca for binding to proteins involved in Ca
  channel activities are one category of blockers, i believe i read.  all i
  know about dietary Ca supplements is that one form is effective for bone
  density, another not.

  tony tweedale