Re: cement kilns

  No, cement kilns do not produce dioxins "especially" when burning haz
  waste as fuel.  They produce dioxins as a normal course of operations
  and haz waste combustion really does not have as big as an impact on
  their emission characterization as some folks would like to believe.
  Though burning haz waste will have some impact on emissions, it is not
  a lot relative to their base line emissions.  The Rachel's report was a
  little misleading in that they made it sound like someone just found
  this out a few years back and casually mentioned it.  Not so - this is
  a problem known for some time.

  Cement kilns are a particularly large source of pollution.  One large
  cement kiln puts several hundred tons of criteria pollutants into the
  air each year, some toxic metals, and dioxins to boot.  They are
  considered a major contributor of dioxins without factoring in haz
  waste.  It would be better to create a movement to regulate tougher
  emissions standards on the industry as a whole instead of focusing on
  haz waste.  If they stop burning haz waste, it might seem like a
  victory, but it will have accomplished NOTHING relative to the risk
  impact to the local community.  Selective catalytic reactors, if
  oversized, will not only control the massive amount of NOx coming from
  these sources, but also the dioxins.

  Sam McClintock
  scmcclintock@ipass.net