  From: ttweed@wildrockies.org
  To: Catalano, Dennis
  Subject: RE: mill effluent chloro-xanthene as toxic as tcdd; great
  lakes; cardiovascular
  Date: Thursday, July 17, 1997 7:08AM

  thanks.  i'll never understand why people who are motivatd to reply w/
  useful info don't reply to all interested parties, ie to the
  list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  does safe believe that they are biologivally inert, as to Ah mediated
  effects, or only that they compete w/ other Ah binders?  also, it would
  seem reasonable to suppose that inc.'96, they may have identified the
  xanthene correctly...
   --------
  >A 1989 paper by Hans-Rudolf Buser, Lars-Owe Kjeller, Stephen Swanson,
  >and Christoffer Rappe states that errors were made when the initial
  >research was performed on pulp mill effluent and sediment down stream
  >from mills.  The compounds initially thought to be chloroxanthene was
  >actually methylated chlorofurans.  These compounds can not be
  >distinguished  by HRMS and some very good research was performed to
  >indicate that the latter compounds were the compounds found in effluent.
  > This paper states that the toxicalogical significance of the
  >alkyl-PCDFs is not known, but research by Safe and coworkers suggest
  >that they act as effective antagonists to TCDD.  They compete with the
  >TCDD for binding sites to the Ah receptor and thus block the TCDD
  >activity.  These compounds diminish the ability of TCDD to induce enzyme
  >activity.
  >
  >Dennis Catalano

  tony tweedale