Re: Why Bill Gates Will Win

  Charlie,

  Another basis for peoples' complaint against Microsoft (and in favor of
  antitrust generally) has to do with wealth transfers and the
  taking of property rights by firms with market power.  Suppose that we
  examine the legislative history of the antitrust laws.  Suppose that we
  conclude (as I have, in an article) that Congress, when it passed the
  antitrust laws, defined and gave that ill-defined property right that we
  call "consumers' surplus" to consumers. An anticompetitive cartel or
  anticompetitively acquired monopoly takes this property right from
  consumers by charging supracompetitive prices.  Since Microsoft or a
  cartel does not compensate consumers for this consumers' surplus, what
  they are doing is no different from theft of consumers' property.
  Hence the need for antitrust laws.

  Bob Lande