Contemptuous Compliance with Bare Knuckle Rhetoric

  Here's a relevent address for anyone who has some evidence to contribute
  to discovery. If you had a box-making OEM that went bankrupt or some
  other entity with Microsoft NDA's that are no longer germaine to an
  ongoing business, pass the materials on to Mr. Phillip Malone.

  CAB

  http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/zdnn/1217/264448.html

  >  December 17, 1997
  >
  >  Via Telecopier and Regular Mail
  >
  >  Phillip R. Malone
  >  Trial Attorney
  >  U.S. Department of Justice
  >  Antitrust Division
  >  450 Golden Gate Avenue
  >  Box 36046
  >  San Francisco, California 94102
  >
  >  Re: Windows 95
  >
  >  Dear Phil:
  >
  > I am writing in response to your letter of December 16, 1997. Microsoft believes that it is in full compliance with the Court's December 11, 1997 Order.
  >
  > Microsoft's Compliance   The Antitrust Division requested an order directing Microsoft to give computer manufacturers the option of not installing the Internet Explorer part of Windows 95 when installing the rest of the operating system. The Court issued such an order, apparently based  on the Division's express representation that deleting Internet Explorer would not adversely  affect the operation of Windows 95. Microsoft  consequently advised computer manufacturers  that they were not required to install Internet  Explorer when installing Windows 95. (As you  requested, a copy of Microsoft's letter to its  Windows 95 licensees is enclosed.)
  >
  > With respect to Internet Explorer 4.0, Microsoft  has done precisely what the Division requested  and what the Court ordered. Computer  manufacturers are free to install Internet Explorer  4.0 (which provides the latest enhancements to  Windows 95, including a new user interface) or  not, as they choose.
  >
  >  Microsoft has also provided the Division with all  the relief it requested and the Court ordered with  respect to Internet Explorer 3.0. Consistent with  the express terms of the Court's December 11,  1997 Order, Microsoft has informed computer  manufacturers that they may install Internet  Explorer 3.0 or not, as they choose. If any  computer manufacturer avails itself of the option  of not installing Internet Explorer 3.0, it is an  inescapable fact that the remainder of the  operating system will not function. That is  precisely what David Cole said would happen in  his two declarations. We agree with you that  such an outcome does not make much sense.  That is one reason why Microsoft opposed the  Division's request for contempt sanctions and  why we have appealed the preliminary injunction  entered by the Court sua sponte after it rejected  the Division's request for a contempt order. As  Microsoft has previously advised the Division, in  detail on several occasions, I!
  !
  nternet Explorer  3.0 is an integral part of OSR 2.0, and it cannot  be removed from that version of Windows 95  without substantially degrading the operating  system.
> [...]
  >
  >  Microsoft has complied with that order. On  December 15, Microsoft informed its Windows  95 licensees in writing that they no longer  needed to comply with their Windows 95 license  agreements to the extent that those agreements  require installation of the files that comprise  Internet Explorer 3.0 in the Internet Explorer  Starter Kit that is sold through the retail channel  to the installed base of Windows 95 users. Thus,  Microsoft has eliminated the alleged  "conditioning" by contract that the Division  complained about.
  >
  >  If this really were only a case of contractual  "bundling," as the Division insisted to the Court  that it is, then there would be no need for this  exchange of correspondence. Computer  manufacturers could license and install the  current version of Windows 95, called OSR 2.0,  with or without Internet Explorer 3.0. But this is  not a contractual "bundling" case. Although the  Division may ardently wish the facts were  otherwise, Internet Explorer 3.0 is an integral  part of Windows 95. Microsoft can lift the  general (and perfectly sensible) license  requirement that computer manufacturers install  Windows 95 in its entirety, but that does not  mean that it will ever be feasible for computer  manufacturers to delete important parts of a  complex product that was designed, developed  and tested as an integrated whole.
  >
  >  Microsoft has provided computer manufacturers  with an additional alternative not required by the  Court's order. Although Microsoft's license  agreements with computer manufacturers  generally provide that they will install the latest  version of Windows 95 (for obvious reasons,  previously explained to the Division), Microsoft  has advised computer manufacturers that they  may install the original version of Windows 95  (Build 950.6) if they wish. Unlike OSR 2.0, Build  950.6 will boot up and generally function even if  Internet Explorer 1.0 is removed from the OEM  version of the product. (At the time Build 950.6  was released, the integration of Internet Explorer  with the rest of Windows 95 entailed many fewer  code dependencies, making it easier to  remove.) This alternative allows computer  manufacturers to install the version of Windows  95 that is available in the retail channel today  (minus Internet Explorer files) - and it is the very  same version that the Divi!
  !
  sion has repeatedly  held up as supposedly showing that Windows  95 is separate from Internet Explorer. We are  making Build 950.6 available once again to  computer manufacturers, but as we have  previously explained, it does not provide the  many benefits of Microsoft's ongoing  development of Windows 95 since the operating  system was initially released -- including  benefits that flow from the tighter integration of  Internet Explorer with the balance of the  operating system.