Re: "Is Nader right?"

  Chuck Swiger wrote:
  >  But is there any documented evidence that MS used some
  >  sort of leverage, hints of retribution, economic threats,
  >  threats of isolation, explicit or implicit, to coerce
  >  Williams or anybody into using MS against their will?

  Well, I wouldn't call this documented evidence, but there
  is anecdotal evidence being collected by Ric Ford, a
  respected Mac market journalist, on his web site at
  http://www.macintouch.com/hughes.html regarding large
  companies that traditionally supported Macs, who are forcing
  their employees to migrate to Microsoft.  The one anecdote
  that I found particularly galling was the following (this
  is quite long -- apologies in advance, but if the
  allegations are true, this is relevant to the list):

> [...]
  >
  >  The MS deal (Gains and losses):
  >
  >  KPMG gets:
  >
  >  $300,000,000.00+ in future consulting business from
  >  Microsoft.  (Is that from or with... How much would we
  >  get without this agreement? How much MS consulting work
  >  were we doing before?)
  >
  >  Free access to Microsoft software for consulting purposes
  >  (basically a site license for use in demos, training and
  >  evaluations, most vendors give us this type of access by
  >  signing a non disclosure agreement).
  >
  >  Microsoft gets:
  >
  >  All desktop technology in the firm (world wide) must be
  >  switched to MS technology by the summer of 98 with a
  >  total transition time of 3 years.
  >
  >  Control of technology in all of the big 4 consulting
  >  firms, KPMG was the last one.
  >
  >  A 500 person Windows NT practice within KPMG that will
  >  help proliferate Microsoft's vision of the future Windows
  >  NT.
  >
  >  Another battle won on several technical fronts,
  >  eliminating more strong holds of the competition.
  >
  >  Here are some of the "Leverage" points that Microsoft
  >  used during the Negotiation:
  >
  >  (1) Microsoft stated that there were other consulting
  >  organizations that could be called on to perform Microsoft
  >  integration. If KPMG wanted a piece of that pie, KPMG
  >  must be part of the team and therefore agree with the
  >  terms of the proposed agreement. Otherwise MS would be
  >  forced to recommend another consulting organization to
  >  perform the work for MS/KPMG clients.
  >
  >  (2) MS threatened us with a "Very Public" investigation.
  >  MS claimed that they had information that our firm was
  >  in major violation of our Microsoft licensing agreements.
  >  We have site licenses for some of the MS products that
  >  are used internally. Since KPMG's purchases of non-site
  >  licensed products is performed by individual partners
  >  and projects, it is difficult for KPMG to track (at a
  >  corporate level) how many copies of each piece of software
  >  we own. The partnership felt it was best to avoid any
  >  investigation or possible lawsuit and give in to
  >  Microsoft's terms.
  >
  >  [Some articles on the KPMG MS deal can be found by
  >  clicking _here_.]
  >
  >  In conclusion, Microsoft "muscled" their way into KPMG
  >  and kicked out many if not all of the competition. They
  >  used techniques that can be seen as bribery and blackmail
  >  to achieve their goals. Can we say "Racketeering" folks??
  >
  >  To the KPMG people out their, I know that many of you
  >  are frustrated with the technology decisions being made...
  >  remember KPMG is a partnership... If you feel that the
  >  decisions are being made in a vacuum, tell your partner,
  >  let them know what you think... Partners have the power
  >  to make change. Speak up about your needs. If you are
  >  more productive on a Macintosh, let it be known !!! If
  >  you know that NT is not the most effective server platform
  >  for Intranet delivery, tell someone. We all have a
  >  voice... let the facts be heard.. You can make a

  The element of this that smacks of coercion is the
  discussion of "leverage" that MS allegedly used in
  negotiation with KPMG.  MS's ability to align the "Big Six"
  firms to their cause by forcing them to choose to be either
  completely with MS and against their competitors, or be
  completely out of the MS business and face reprisals, is
  one of the biggest issues we need to concern ourselves with.
  This would be an invincible weapon in the corporate market,
  which is where most of the money is.  It also sounds like
  they are requiring the consulting firms to violate ethical
  standards by completely compromising their objectivity and
  balance of expertise, if they have not already done so
  anyway.

  Of course, all of this is unsubstantiated.  :-(

  --Neele

  *** speaking only for myself, not my employer ***