Re: Brave New World

  You begin with the statement:
         Valid comment on the editorial control of the encyclopedia
  so I think you see one point I was trying to make, and, in fact,
  somewhat agree.

  With respect to my objections about Microsoft's "pioneering" remarks...
  Much real work had be done in GUI design and object-oriented programming.
  before Microsoft became involved.  It is my opinion that MS does not
  adequately
  give credit where it is due for that development.   You may be right
  that I have overstated the case against Microsoft--by interpreting
  "pioneer" as though it meant "innovate".  Still, they over-emphasize
  their contribution, and it I still believe it is fair for me to characterize

  this as a rewriting of history.

  Incidentally, just in case you do not know it, rewriting history plays a
  large role in the book Brave New World, by George Orwell.

  With respect to philanthropy...
  Donating computers and software to schools is commendable, but
  hardly evidence of social conscience.  Microsoft DOES SELL
  educational software that can use the good press, after all  But perhaps
  you have other examples of Gates philanthropy?

  With respect to your question "Did I miss something?", you can
  see that I think so.  But I want to thank you for the calm tone
  of your email, and particularly for the fact that it reflects thought!

  Tod Landis

  GUIs and object oriented programming