Re: Apple's future

  Luc-Etienne.Brachotte@art.alcatel.fr wrote:

  >Yesterday evening, I just read an article from John C. Dvorak,
  >there's a great probability Apple will, in a near future, switch from
  >the PowerPC architecture, to Intel microprocessors. Moreover, the next
  >version of the MacOS will be based on the Windows NT kernel ! Apparently
  >that's why they bought NEXTStep, which runs mainly on PC's, and why
  >Jean-Louis Gassee will release it's BeOS on PC's. JLG, former Apple #2
  >is still in close contact with Apple and knows a lot of secrets.

  I *think* you may have got a lot of stuff mixed up here.I'm not a technical
  person but here's my understanding of Apple's plans.

  Apple is developing a NEW operating system, code named Rhapsody
  Rhapsody derives from NeXT-ware. A good source of information on this is

  http://www.stepwise.com/

  [I very much encourage you to check out this site. I believe it will answer
  a lot of your questions.]

  Rhapsody is based on a UNIX "mach" microkernel

  It will run on PowerPC AND "Intel" chips..ie: it will run on computers that
  currently run the MacOS AND it will run on machines currently running
  Windows

  There is a new chip too..the G3, code named "Arthur" which I don't know
  much about.Apple just released the first machines running on this
  chip.Apple's website has more information. http://www.apple.com/

  Rhapsody will run *better* on machines built by Apple [ie:PowerPC
  architecture.? or maybe the G3?]

  I believe [??] you can run Windows and Rhapsody concurrently..

  There are a lot of folks on this list who can tell you a lot more..I know
  there's at least one Rhapsody developer on the list and hope he will speak
  up.

  Apple will also continue to develop the MacOS but eventually will encourage
  users to migrate to Rhapsody.

  This is just my best understanding of the situation..anyone with more
  technical expertise may feel free to correct me.
  :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

  >    My question is : will MacOS be *integrated* in Windows NT, or
  >Windows NT in MacOS ? ;-) Or will MacOS be the new client part of WNT
  >Server ?

  I don't think any of the former are true..I'll defer to the techhies on this one

  Heather

  ================ Don't Believe Everything You Think ========================

  Heather Wimberly Beech,A.I.A.
  Wimberly Architects