Re: In the Briefcases of Gates' Lawyers

  I don't know who DL-J is, but he's wonderfully uninformed...

  Microcomputer Basic wasn't "invented" by Microsoft.  Charitably, one can say
  they "ported" Basic to the Microcomputer.

  "Intel based Operating Systems" weren't invented by Microsoft either... DOS was
  -purchased- by Gates, Paul Allen and some other guy they forced out of the deal
  after IBM asked Gates to provide an OS for their new PC.  I seem to recall the
  story being that Bill's Mother was on the United Way board with the head of IBM
  at the time (Opal?, Akers?).  He mentioned it to her and she mentioned Bill's
  company could do it.  No idea if the story is true or not...

  Anyway, Bill's company, Microsoft, tweaked it a little and licensed it to IBM.

  Despite what magazines say, Windows 1.x through 3.x is -not- an Operating
  System.  Try to start it without DOS on the computer.  Heck, you can't even
  -install- it on the PC without a pre-existing OS.  I haven't figured out whether
  Windows 95 is an OS or not.  Is it a new GUI on top of DOS as many allege?  Or
  is it an OS which can "Dual Boot" over to MS-DOS 7?  I -do- know that if one
  particular parm is changed, you don't get the GUI when you boot so I'm leaning
  towards the former.

  So you've got UNIX, (untouched by Microsoft) DOS, (created by someone else)
  OS/2, initially a joint development by IBM and Microsoft and Windows NT, a
  branch off of OS/2 v1.3(?).  NeXT?  Steve Jobs' company and I'm not sure if it
  runs on Intel based processors.

  Scott K. McGrath
  mcgrats@ix.netcom.com