Letter to Reno

          I'm impressed by the savvy strategy of Marvin Slayton (below)--a
  letter to the U.S. Attorney General, Janet Reno, with a copy to Ralph
  Nader's operative in charge of his Microsoft Conference on Thursday and
  Friday.  It's so sensible we should all have thought of it instanter.  You
  can rest assured that Bill Gates' lawyers will comb through the archives of
  this list, codify every criticism, computerize and classify every scrap and
  tidbit of information you've contributed.  But will the Justice lawyers do
  the same?   Hardly.  As bureaucrats with no real commitment to the antitrust
  goal of a level playing field in the economic world, they'll do the 9-to-5
  minimum and avoid anything so tedious as poring through all of our hundreds
  of posts looking for critical leads and insights.

          Marvin has shown us how to make sure that this lawyerly lethargy at
  Justice
  doesn't doom our individual or our collective effort.  Why can't each of us
  write such a letter to Reno?  Why can't we all write a letter to her that
  sums up our sense of the facts involved in Microsoft's monopoly, our
  appraisal of its costs, and our concerns as to what it means for the future
  of the industry and the country?  We've had quite a bit to say in our
  postings here.  Why can't we, at a minimum, write her a note with an
  attachment--the attachment being what we consider the 2 or 3 or more of our
  best posts to this list?

          You bet she'll read them.  And, bureaucracy being what it is, she'll
  pass them down to Joel Klein and his 300 lawyers and economists in the
  Antitrust Division with a note suggesting rather strongly that they, too,
  read them.

          The last time I checked, this list had only 270 members.  A dozen
  good letters could have a profound effect at Justice.  Those of us who are
  old and battle-scarred veterans of the Washington political wars know what
  it's like to be called into the boss' office and read an especially good
  letter from an informed citizen.  If the word should go out from our 270 to
  the many thousands of savvy computer professionals who're concerned with the
  Gates monopolization of their industry, the letters on Reno's desk could be
  measured by the foot--and the Clinton administration would suddenly develop
  a deep appreciation for the merits of a tough antimonopoly policy.

          As my own contribution here, my journal, the Antitrust Law &
  Economics Review (below), will review for publication all such letters to Reno.

          In the last analysis, the computer/software industry will get the
  competition/ monopoly policy that it demands.  Sit quiet and Bill wins.
  Write to Reno--and enlist the support of your colleagues--and you win.

          Charles Mueller, Editor
          ANTITRUST LAW & ECONOMICS REVIEW
          http://webpages.metrolink.net/~cmueller