RE: Consider this

  >I think the comment on Microsoft donating technology to libraries is
  >mean-spirited. Surely you don't think that Gates should donate someone
  >else's technology! Remember, Gates believes that computing is the great
  >equalizer, and it is a way to get disadvantaged kids an opportunity.
  >Perhaps you don't, but he really believe it.

  Yes, but the question of the moment is: do you, and why?

  Consider, that when he decided to give away his money, Andrew Carnegie
  did not mandate that the libraries built in his name be constructed of
  Carnegie steel. For all of his well-deserved reputation as one of the
  most notorious hard-ball capitalists of the age, and one of the world's
  great skinflints, in the end Carngie's philanthropy was an authentic sort
  of generosity. As a consequence, Carnegie will be remembered less for
  ruthlessly burying his competitors, and more for the brick (yes, mainly
  brick) edifices dotting the nation.

  Gates, on the other hand, can't seem to manage a donation that doesn't
  directly promote the Microsoft corporate agenda -- in effect, moving his
  money from one pocket to another, and calling it generosity. If Gates and
  Microsoft actually want to be loved, perhaps they should attempt to
  achieve it without such tranparent cynicism.

  So in answer to your question: Yes, he should donate the money with no
  strings attached. It's what real philanthropists do.

     Mitch Stone
  +---
     Make money and the whole world will conspire to call you a gentleman.
                                         -- George Bernard Shaw

     Boycott Microsoft ** http://www.vcnet.com/bms