RE: Moderately improved Map

  On Sat, 8 Nov 1997 21:39:32 -0500 (EST), David E. Y. Sarna wrote:

  >Claire, you are certainly not forced to put IE on your computer; neither
  >are you forced to use Visual Studio. I find nothing wrong however, with
  >a vendor of one component reusing that component in another tool,
  >especially when the reused component is available free to all comers.
  >
  >Presumably, if many folks felt like you, Microsoft would reconsider
  >their position. I still don't understand where all the anger comes from.
  >
  >Regards,
  >David E. Y. Sarna       davids@objectsoftcorp.com

  <snip>

  I say it is not anger, not at first at least, but frustration borne out out
  loss of choice to consumers and developers.

  It is indeed useful to talk about reusing a "free" component in another
  "tool"...certainly I have been that way with false confidence...until one
  day you realize that now your "tools" and your "reused components" have,
  or are becoming, owned by one "owner".  Sad, but true.  What happened
  to all the choice, then?

  For such tools or components, what do you consider should be the best
  tools and components of choice for, say, a "talk the talk" investment,
  versus a "walk the walk" investment?  $10, $100, $1000, or more?

  Erick Andrews