Re: Why IBM got MS started?

  >I have that book on my desk, it says:
  >
  >IBM           (it was published by IBM in September 1983)
  >Disk
  >Operating
  >System
  >Technical References
  >by Microsoft Corp.
  >
  >It is the IBM-DOS 2.10 Technical References book.
  >
  >As I remember it, MS haven't done anything before that
  >(except IBM-DOS 1.X and 2.0X, I presume).
  >
  >Why did IBM get MS started by giving them this first big
  >contract?
  >
  >Today, it seems strange. Maybe IBM figured it would be cheaper
  >to have MS writing it for them. I cannot imagine that IBM didn't
  >have the knowledge to do it themselves.

  My understanding, such as it is, is that IBM was keen to enter
  the personal computer market quickly, having seen the rapid
  success of Apple with the Apple II.  They had 'there to fore'
  not given the notion of a "personal" computer on the desktop
  much credence.  Big Iron being de riguer for businesses in those
  days. Yes, they certainly had the brain trust to write their own
  OS, but they wanted to buy it from someone else and save time

  >What was Bill Gates doing in 1983? Has he ever written code or did
  >he have some very qualified people with him back then? If so, what have
  >those people become?

  They had been writing BASIC interpreters,(and other languages), for
  various platforms of the day, including the Apple II, among other,
  more 'hobby' oriented computers.  Again, my understanding here should
  not be taken strictly as fact.  Undoubtedly, I am missing, or even
  unkowingly misstating, some facts.

  >We all know that later, MS was allowed to sell DOS themselves under
  >the name MS-DOS.
  >
  >Can anybody refresh me on that?

  I know I have a URL for all this 'lore' someplace.  If I can find it
  I will forward it to you.  It is important not to forget the history
  leading up to present day.  I believe it is possible to predict the
  direction/s things will take, by looking at the threads leading up
  to today, and then projecting them forward.  Plot the points and
  extend the line.  Just as in physics wherein one can predict the
  entire curve of an object put in motion based on a segment.  I believe
  the domain of business,culture,economics,politics,human nature has its
  own set of 'laws' that can be used to the same end, albeit perhaps
  not as exact a science.  That is why I am so concerned.

  >I don't say this was good or bad, because should IBM have had all the
  >rights on DOS, what OS the first PC-clone makers would have put in their
  >machines?

  We may well never know.

  >I am just curious about what drove IBM to that decision back then.
  >
  >L.Goulet

  Good question. The consquences of which have shown it to be pivotal.

  -J Bryan
  "You are not free because you CAN choose -- only if you DO choose"
  "All you are is the decisions you make.  If you allow circumstances
  to make them for you, then what you are becomes very easy to estimate."

              John N. Bryan   Austin, Texas
     mailto:jnelson@bga.com   http://www.realtime.net/~jnelson