Ground rules etc.

    From Tod Landis

      Could someone with responsibility for managing this list please
      describe its purpose...and set some ground rules?

  This list is unmoderated so I'm afraid the ground rules are no more complex than
  outlined at "http://www.essential.org/listproc/am-info".   This URL points to
  the HTML based archive of the list.  If people have trouble reading messages due
  to HTML formatting but have access to the WEB, it might be worth consulting
  the archive.

    From Gerry Britton

      And perhaps also fix the List managing software?
      I have to add a cc to this response to am-info@essential.org, so the header
      info isn't quite right.

  The list is configured to not automatically forward replies to the list.  It
  is believed that this helps cut down on the general noise level -- which can
  get quite high with an unmoderated list.  Ideally persons posting inquiries
  are responded to directly.  They can then post their findings to the list.

    From Hans Reiser

      All you folks who hate HTML email need to get used to the notion that
      technology has moved on.  Sorry.  I miss reading my mail in emacs too.

      That said, I think the polite thing is to set your browser to send in both
      HTML and plain text (bytes are cheap, even on a modem, when images are not
      present).

  I agree with this.  Even though plain text should still be considered a common
  denominator for all email conversations, the extensions to the simple email
  model have made it a much more useful tool.  File attachments and the MIME
  standards would be the most significant extensions in my opinion.  I think
  that it is important to recognize the need for continuing innovation in tools
  like email.

  As Microsoft's operating system and application market dominance increases,
  there is a clear danger of innovation normally fostered by competition being
  compromised.  I do not personally believe that innovation shaped by a single
  corporate vision will create products or standards that reflect both the
  influence of the market and of good engineering -- the two factors that have
  defined the Internet standards to date -- in the way that has been so
  celebrated by proponents of the Internet for so long.

  Sincerely,

  Charles Bennington
  Listmaster@Essential.ORG